James and I have started planning our out-of-town escapes around things we can do with the dogs; rather, places we can go with the dogs.
- must be an easy car ride (less that 8 hours without traffic)
- must have well-lit, green-area’d rest stops along the way
- must not be in a state with BSL about pit bull breed
- must have dog-friendly activities
- must not require kenneling
We’ve taken them to the Outer Banks. We take them on overnights to relatives’ houses. And now, they’ve been to Asheville.
Through homeaway.com, We rented a wonderful converted barn just a few miles outside of downtown Asheville, NC, for a Thanksgiving escape. Pet-friendly with wooded trails, lots of sniffs and radiant flooring.
We woke up our second morning to find a dusting of mountain snow!
We ate, we napped, we went on adventures (you’ll have to wait for those), and we broke out of our travel crate.
Oh, and there were bears. We saw them. Well, one. Our renters book was full of helpful information, like “Will a bear attack my dog?”
Asheville is a great, walkable town. And we have the pictures to prove it. Next time, on Serial.